Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Burn Baby Burn – Bali Day 7.7



Ouch!
Turns out that 4 hour nap on the beach wasn’t as perfect as we thought. Greg, it seems, is burned to a crisp. He has a reverse farmer’s burn because he did put on some sunscreen before he took off his shirt. This Equator Sun ain’t no punk, “Oh, you think you can lay out here with no sunscreen? Well I got something for ya. Bam! How you like me now?”  
 
It is really hot here—when I go out the second day the sand was burning hot, but then there’s the beautiful ocean. Ahh swoon again…

We have an emergency here, we need to find aloe for this fire.
No pure aloe in sight but we do find something for sunburns that contains aloe. It seems to work and we are off to yet another lovely lunch.

After lunch we decide to drive out to the Balinese sea temple Pura Luhur Uluwatu to see the beautiful view and the Balinese dancers sunset performance. During the forty or so minute drive, Kennedy is warning us about the monkeys there. He tells us not to wear glasses or earrings or anything that dangles because the monkeys swoop down and snatch things. And no, they don’t give them back. They break them or runaway with them.

I’m tripping out, what about my purse, my sunglasses, my necklace? Muriel assures me that it’s not as bad as Kennedy makes it seem, but do put the glasses away.

When we get there they give us sashes and if your knees aren’t covered, sarongs. We walk in and sure enough, there they are. Monkeys! Chunky monkeys everywhere. They’re just chilling and waiting for you to make a mistake.  Nothing swinging on me, not even my arms! We see twisted discarded glass frames all around us. Hey lady, watch your… too late, a monkey gets her glasses. Somehow the monkey is persuaded to drop the glasses in exchange for food.
  



We are now going up to the temple and the beautiful view. It is breath taking, as is the dance show. Sunset in Bali, watching a great dance performance with a spectacular view as background. It couldn’t get any better than this… 


Oh but it does.

After the show we go to Menegas Restaurant in Jimbaran Bay for fresh ocean seafood. Before I go any farther, I want to be sure you pronounce the name right. It’s meh-nay-gas, not mi-nig-az. I know, it’s easy to mispronounce words in a foreign language.  At Menegas the fish is fresh and swimming around happily, that is until you (executioner) pick the ones you want. “Dead fish swimming.”
Pick your fish & it's cooked fresh 

OBTW- This is the spot of the 2005 terrorist bombing in Bali, maybe we should get ours to go? What are we on, the terrorist tour? Planes, restaurants.  

Lots of smoking fish

Fresh cooked corn on beach
Oh well, you only live once and--we have a table right on the ocean! There's live music on the beach, hundreds of other people, and a man selling hot spicy corn on the cob that he cooks right there for you. Yummy. We walk back to our table and the fish starts coming out—mussels, crab, cod fish, shrimp, octopus…. Everybody digs in.  











 This is by far the best fish dinner I’ve ever had! I was so delighted by the food that I almost called them mi-nig-az!

No comments:

Post a Comment